Sunday, June 29, 2008

Long and Winding

Many times when we are kids we are naive and believe that we choose our paths. One day you wake up and realize your path chose you. I didn't plan on being a single mom with three kids who worked in a restaurant. I was going to be the teacher or school administrator who made more money than my husband. The white picket fence delusion plagued my plans. When I was 16 and 17, I knew everything. I knew that "love" was all that mattered. I knew that despite what my mother said, men didn't suck. (Mind you, they still don't suck). I knew where I was going and what I was doing and no one could tell me different.
Friday, as I was going to my first manager shift on my own, I was excited. I felt as though I had worked hard and was finally succeeding. I also realized that I love what I do and that my path has chosen me. There is a reason that I lead people through restaurant shifts and maybe out of it, someone else will be inspired to lead. There is a reason that I help customers everyday. Maybe throught that one interaction, I will help make their day better.
My road has become long and winding. Yet, I can not help but feel as though there is a reason that this road has been put before me.

2 comments:

David Cranmer said...

Who can turn the world on with her smile?
Who can take a nothing day, and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile?
Well it's you girl, and you should know it
With each glance and every little movement you show it

(The Mary Tyler Moore theme just popped into my head-I'm very proud of your accomplishments)

Jasmine said...

I second David on that. You have seen a lot with the problems your marriage suffered. You are a great mother (doesn't matter you are single). You take care of your children ... There are others we both know that do not do so well, and their are 2 parents involved. I am proud of you ... and I hope you are proud of yourself.