Friday, July 4, 2008

4th Fun

Our family has been celebrating the 4th of July all week. I took some rare and well deserved time off from work with my kids this week. I witnessed a right of passage for my son. He found many boys to play "War" with. As these boys waited for the fireworks, they ran back and forth through the grass shooting at each other. I don't condone violence but it was fascinating to watch him interact with boys. I typically see him with his sisters who don't tend to be as "energetic" as other boys. Last night we trecked about 45 minutes to Little York Lake for the fireworks display. This was the first chance I had to go with my kids. They have attended with their grandparents the past several years. It was an amazing experience. My middle daughter is very musical and absolutely enjoyed the live jazz band playing. We danced together on the damp, grassy lawn. The residents around the lake set off their own fireworks while we waited for the big show. All three of my kids and I laid together on the lawn watching the fireworks as they reflected off of the lake. When it was time for the big show it was amazing. We sat in admiration of the fireworks. They were so close that each boom rattled your rib cage and they looked as they may rain down on us. I hope that everyone reading has a special 4th of July experience like ours.

2 comments:

David Cranmer said...

Rose, Glad you had a great 4th. d and I had a couple wonderful days that included fireworks and some good southern food. I didn't mention that I also enjoyed Cayuga Lake and Stewart Park as a kid. I loved the photos you posted.

Jasmine said...

Mine was not all that special. I spent it alone while my hisband worked, and I babysat my mom's pets since she was a way for the weekend, but I am glad that you all had a great time! Little York's firework display rules compared to Ithaca's!